Slimbridge club badge and page title
  Slimbridge F.C.

Hellenic Div 1 West

   

SLIMBRIDGE F.C.- TO BE ADDED TO DATABASE

 

Slimbridge Football Club's history can be traced back to the 1899-1900 season when they played local football at various venues in and around the village, but as they do not appear to have played matches every season initially, the club officially dates its foundation to 1902. In 1951 the club moved to their current ground at Wisloe Road after Evi Thornhill, a former player bequeathed the land to the club in his will. From then until the 1990s the club mainly competed in the Stroud and District League, except for a spell in the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League in the 1960s. In the late 1980s, after a period of severe financial difficulties had been overcome, the club were finally able to upgrade their facilities and step up to the Gloucestershire County League, where they finished runners-up in their very first season and were promoted to the Hellenic League Division One West.
The success continued with the Division One West title at the first attempt and with it promotion to the Premier Division, where three top-five finishes were achieved in the first three seasons, before clinching the Championship in 2006-07. This earned promotion to the Southern League, but on 10 July 2007, the club withdrew its membership, taking its Reserves' place in the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League. They won the league at the first attempt, and were promoted to the Gloucestershire County League where the club maintained back to back promotions, winning promotion again to Hellenic League Division One West for the 2009/10 season.